Friday, August 28, 2009

Back to School

Here in Baltimore school starts on Monday. It is hard to imagine that summer is already done and my 2 kids will be back in the classroom. My almost 10 year old son with Asperger's has been noting all week how going back to school will be a culture shock for him. My 12 year old daughter with Dyslexia is excited and apprehensive at the same time. While I can't wait to get my kids out the door to school, there is a part of me that is dreading it. It seems that there are too many teachers who can't wrap their brains around that fact that a really bright kid can also have a disability. They see how smart they are. Don't get me wrong. I am glad the teachers see that. The problem is that they don't understand why my son has difficulty writing a simple paragraph when he can give you chapter and verse about a topic. My daughter's problem is even more difficult because she compensates for her reading problems with enhanced listening skills. On top of that, their teachers are forever trying to fit them into a mold and stiffle the wonderful creative gifts my kids have. Hopefully this year will be better.

No comments: